Monday, May 19, 2008

Taylor to the third

The Taylors are a formidable bunch - especially now that they're all out in full force.

We're all familiar with James (if you're not, I don't want to know you. Seriously, stop reading my blog. Now. I mean it.)

And possibly familiar with his son Ben... whom I used to see at my gym in New York. Which is immaterial to his music, but kinda cool. He was ripped. And had a cool tattoo on his arm. Anyway, I've been hearing his music more and more - and liking it more and more. I just downloaded Another Run Around the Sun - nice, nice nice.

So, the other day, I was listening to the radio (satellite radio, which is all I ever listen to anymore) and I thought, is that James Taylor? It sounds like, but not like... Sort of the way, when I hear that voice that sounds almost-but-not-quite-like Ella Fitzgerald, I know it's Sarah Vaughn. Or when I hear a sort-of-young-not-quite Frank Sinatra, I know it's Matt Monro.

Now I know that almost-but-not-quite JT voice belongs to Livingston Taylor, James' younger brother. He sounds like James Taylor, but different. Hmmm, Ben sounds like James too. But differently than Livingston's different. (Follow that?)

I don't know if they'd think that's good or bad - but in this case, genes are genes, and the Taylor sound will out. These boys sound the same, and they sound different. Which is just fine by me - as far as I'm concerned, you can't have too much Taylor music in the universe, so keep it coming, boys, keep it coming.

No comments: