Saturday, May 10, 2008

Crash and burn

I sat through it. Speed Racer, that is.

You have to give me credit. Or maybe not. Because, yikes, what a mess (RT: 35). If it breaks $25 million this weekend, well, it will be a miracle. Supposedly, this monster cost somewhere between $140 and $185 million (a big spread, but what's $45 mil between friends?).

It's pretty. I'll give it that much. And it has a cast. I'll give it that too - Susan Sarandon, John Goodman, Emile Hirsch, Christina Ricci, Matthew Fox, Scott Porter.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have pace, story, direction or logic. Or even good lines.

"Racing will never change. What matters is whether we allow racing to change us."

"You don't climb into a T-180 to be a driver. You do it because you're driven."

"Cool beans." And in case we missed it, we get this one several times. Thanks for that.

I think I'll go see Iron Man again.

No comments: