Saturday, January 12, 2008

These are great, but when the love doesn't last...

15 favorite movie declarations of love... which might just precede (or succeed) 10 favorite rejection and break-up lines (I was aiming for 15, but I got busy):

  1. Martin Tweed - who is, in American Dreamz the Simon Cowell we all think Simon Cowell should be - responds to his girlfriend's announcement that she's leaving him with "you make me feel like being a better person and I'm not a better person. I'm me." Exactly.

  2. Don't you love it when you get to turn the tables? Elle does it with relish in Legally Blonde: "If I'm going to have my own law firm by the time I'm 30, I need a boyfriend who's not such a complete bonehead."

  3. Michael Douglas sure has a way with a line. Remember this from Romancing the Stone? "What did you do, wake up this morning and say, 'Today, I'm going to ruin a man's life?' "

  4. This list wouldn't be complete without at least one reference to The Cutting Edge: "Then one night, you get drunk, and I'm supposed to roll over and thank my lucky stars? Sorry, I don't downshift that fast!"

  5. You gotta love it when you can't put yourself down enough. In My Best Friend's Wedding, Julia Roberts' character says "I'm pond scum. Well, lower actually. I'm like the fungus that feeds on pond scum." Not good enough for Dermot Mulroney, who comes back with "Lower. The pus that infects the mucus that cruds up the fungus that feeds on the pond scum." Ouch.

  6. It's not easy breaking up with a Hall of Famer Major League Big Time Pitcher, who happens to look a lot like Kevin Costner, but Kelly Preston gives it her best shot in For Love of the Game: "I need a regular guy. Not the guy in the Old Spice commercials."

  7. In Philadelphia Story, Tracy Lord happily reminds her ex-husband, "I thought it was for life, but the nice judge gave me a full pardon."

  8. Ready to tell someone it's, um, time to depart? Take a cue from Holly Golightly: "It should take you exactly four seconds to cross from here to that door. I'll give you two."

  9. May no man ever say to me what Robert Redford says to Babs in The Way We Were, "You think you're easy? Compared to what, the Hundred Years' War?"

  10. Come on, this one's obvious. Has anyone said it better than Rhett to Scarlett? "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

No comments: