Thursday, January 10, 2008

If you didn't catch it there, catch it here

I first read about Why We Write on Nikki Fink's blog, which, if you have even a passing interest in the entertainment industry, is a must read. I don't care if you hate blogs, if you don't have time to pee, if you know it all, if you already read the trades, I don't even care if you don't know how to read - read her (and, okay, I do care if you don't know how to read, but that's material for another day - or post). Anyway, back to my point - Why We Write:

WHY WE WRITE is a series of essays by prominent - and not so prominent - TV and Film writers… and by people like you: writers and those who hope someday to call themselves writers. Conceived by Charlie Craig and Thania St. John, the campaign hopes to inspire and inform all writers.

I haven't read all the essays, but the ones I have read... well, let me put it this way: at the same time I wanted to write about them, I also wanted to put down my pen (fold up my laptop?) in defeat, because, man, those guys can WRITE.

I read Damon Lindelof's today (Co-Creator and Executive Producer of Lost) - seriously, the Dual Plume Protocol? And can you email someone in space? That's a damn good question.

I remember when my imagination ran that way, like an unstoppable train careening down the tracks, passing possibility, whizzing by plausibility, only slowing down when glimpses of the improbable were just ahead.

Like Greg Berlanti (Executive Producer of Dirty Sexy Money and Brothers and Sisters) said in his great essay - the worst was when he stopped writing. I concur - the worst was when life seemed to conspire to sit on my imagination and flatten it into a whoopee cushion with no whoop left, while I "got a job." Without getting maudlin (after all, who wants to read a maudlin blog?), let's just say, life is better when you're writing. For sure, my life is better when I'm writing.

So, although these writers are mind-bogglingly intimidating, they are also quite inspiring. So... thanks.

No comments: