Monday, June 09, 2008

Movie dearth?

Is it just me? Where are the summer movies?

I haven't been excited to go see a movie since Iron Man - and I was a teen-ager when I went to see that. Okay, maybe it wasn't that long ago, but it was a while. Really.

Let's review, shall we? Indiana Jones did not get any rave reviews from my peeps who matter (I believe the words "retarded" "crap" and "idiotic" were used). Spielberg et al., broke the 11th commandment - and what did he get? The movie's RT score of 78 doesn't come close to the first three installments' stellar 95, 91 and 93.

Sex and the City, you ask? Well, sure. That's one, but kinda one-dimensional in the scheme of movies.

The Incredible Hulk has gotten as much confused buzz as it has spill-over good buzz from Iron Man... and a good thing it has that going for it. The first question people ask is, haven't we seen that already? Er, maybe once or twice. At least now we know that this particular version is set up to be part of Marvel's Avengers movie universe. And it will have a Robert Downey, Jr. cameo - but going to a movie to see a cameo? Not promising.

Then we've got Get Smart - and I have to say, I have high hopes for that one. Great cast: Steve Carell, Anne Hathaway, the Rock (sorry, Dwayne Johnson), Alan Arkin, Terence Stamp. Keep your fingers crossed.

Then we have Hancock - which is definitely that movie with a curl in the middle of its forehead: it's going to be very, very good, or terrible. Directed by Peter Berg - you know, of Friday Night Lights (though also of The Kingdom, keep that in mind). And it does have the unbelievably watchable Will Smith going for it, so...

There are a few others (The Dark Knight, Mamma Mia) and I hope a few sleepers. Maybe it's just a distinct lack of attention that I'm feeling. Where's the love, studios? Don't you want us to come see your movies?

No comments: