Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Carole, Carole, Carole...

When all else fails, write about what you know - or what you love. Clearly, all roads lead to Carole King...

But they start with Cary Grant, inimitable as always in The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer:

"Hey, you remind me of a man."
"What man?"
"The man with the power."
"What power?"
"The power of hoodoo."
"Who do?"
"You do."
"Do what?"
"Remind me of a man."
"What man?"
"The man with the power."
"What power? Oh, never mind!"

How, you're thinking to yourself (I know you are), am I going to get from there to Carole King? After all, she's no Kevin Bacon. Don't you worry your pretty little head - just leave the heavy lifting to me. Do try to keep up, though.

Sidney Sheldon wrote the screenplay for The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer in 1947 (and, by the way, won an Oscar for same). That same Sheldon - whom you may be more familiar with as a pulp fiction novelist from the 70s and 80s - also created the TV show I Dream of Jeannie in 1964. Stay with me now... Carole King and Gerry Goffin wrote a theme song for that show, although their theme wasn't the one used. Don't know why, but it wasn't. Hmph.

Some 35 years later, however, Carole did get her TV theme song, albeit for a Lorelai, not a Jeannie.

Where you lead, I will follow... anywhere that you tell me to. If you need, if you need me to be with you, I will follow, where you lead.

Who could say it better than that?

No comments: