Thursday, June 19, 2008

In this case, the sequel to the sequel is a good thing

Have you downloaded the new Firefox? Firefox 3.0? Not, by the way, Firefoxier, or The Return of Firefox, or Firefox: The Last Browser. Just Firefox 3.0, speaking for itself.

Anyway, it's pretty darn nifty. And, like Barbie, it comes with some awesome accessories - I mean add-ons.

If you're a Gmailer, you've got to install the Better Gmail 2 add-on immediately - it tiers your labels, highlights your messages, customizes your signatures, and just makes things better (hint: after you install it, to manage it, go to the Tools menu in Firefox, it should show up just above Options). If you're a multi-Gmailer (I confess), you absolutely, positively need to install Gmail Manager, which puts a groovy button in the lower right corner of your browser showing ALL your gmail accounts, including domain hosted accounts, where you can easily switch back and forth, see new message snippets - all without logging out and in, in and out. How happy am I?

Then there's this image/video thing called PicLens that somehow makes me feel like my PC is a Mac - don't ask me how, because I haven't the faintest. That's not its intent by the way - its intent is some truly fantastic way to browse and look at images and videos, but as I was browsing and watching, I all of a sudden felt like the cool Mac guy and not the poor PC dweeb on those commercials. Sigh. And if you happen to already have a Mac, I think it might explode from sheer bliss.

Oh, and to make sure you don't forget to do all this? Install Remember the Milk - a task manager that shows up in your gmail window (and/or on your G-calendar). You can categorize, organize, date, complete, postpone tasks - if you have a blackberry, for $25/yr, you can sync to your task list on your phone. How cool is that?

Stay tuned - I'll share more goodies as I find them. I'm nice that way.

No comments: