Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Too many goodbyes...

Seems as though a lot of people don't remember that it was Cyd Charisse (who died in Los Angeles yesterday) in this number in Singin' in the Rain.

I remember it so clearly as the first time I saw those legs. Check them out... even Gene Kelly can't pick his jaw up off the floor.

There was more to the sequence after this - a whole flowy ballet thing that as a little girl I found sort of boring - but I was absolutely spellbound by this part, Cyd in her emerald green dress and shoes, dancing circles around Gene Kelly. Seriously. Circles.

Turns out, that scene was her big break - the movies we know her from (Silk Stockings, Brigadoon, The Band Wagon) all came after that - but for me, it's all about that green dress - and those legs. And of course, that flipping gold coin.

Don't believe me? Watch for yourself:


There's a video. Don't miss it - click here!

And here's another one:

Don't miss it - click here!

No comments: