Sunday, April 06, 2008

Hollywood and baseball - postscript

So, we all know that Marilyn was married to Joe.

I didn't, however, know until today that Richard Widmark's daughter, Ann, was married to Sandy Koufax. My dad has talked about Koufax a lot over the years, so his name has stuck in my brain, though I am really, truly not a baseball fanatic. He played for the Brooklyn (and then the Los Angeles) Dodgers - though whether the LA version really counts as the Dodgers was enough of a topic to get my grandfather rather red in the face and loud in the voice. If you know what I mean.

Nonetheless, according to Wikipedia,

Among NL pitchers with at least 2,000 innings pitched who have debuted since 1913, [Koufax] has the highest career winning percentage (.655) and had the lowest career ERA (2.76) until surpassed by Tom Seaver, whose NL career mark is 2.73. His 2,396 career strikeouts ranked 7th in major league history upon his retirement, and trailed only Warren Spahn's total of 2,583 among left-handers. Retiring at the peak of his career, he became, at age 36 and 20 days, the youngest player ever elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Pretty impressive. I still think the fact that Richard Widmark was his father-in-law is cooler. That's just me.

No comments: