Thursday, February 21, 2008

Save our show, save our show

This is a bit strange - as I have yet to see this show. My entire family, and a few other trusted souls, however, all think it is one of the best shows ever to grace the airwaves. And these are some picky people, trust me. What show? Friday Night Lights, of course.

So earlier today, I'm riding the waves of the web, as I'm wont to do, and I stumble across the CNN news report that FNL (as the cognoscenti call it - and also as the lazy typists call it) may be canceled by NBC - alarms go off loudly. Oh no! I think. That can't be. And I do a little digging.

Lo and behold, there is a Save FNL movement - similar to the Save Jericho movement that resulted in 40,000 pounds of peanuts being sent to the studio and, more importantly, the show staying on the air. (Read CBS's letter to the fans when it was decided to keep the show going. I particularly like the postscript.)

The Save FNL goal is to bombard Ben Silverman, the current President of Entertainment at NBC, with mini-footballs. The Save FNL site is a bit hard to decipher, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that at least 6250 mini-footballs have been sent so far to Mr. Silverman (after all, what do you give the man who has it all?). And earlier today, Variety reported that NBC is investigating alternative approaches to airing the show that may enable it to stay on the air, including partnering with other networks.

FNL is high on my DVD-marathons-to-run list. I hope its fans keep it alive, until I become one too.

No comments: