Monday, February 25, 2008

They said this day would never come.

I can name a few of them. Peggy Noonan. Christopher Buckley. Ted Sorensen. (Not, obviously, in any particular order.) Their names may or may not live on in any real famy (there's "infamy" - why not "famy"? seriously, why not? Actually, I have a list of words I can ask that about, but another day...), but their words will...

Remember "a thousand points of light"? Courtesy Noonan.

Remember “uncharted areas of science and space, unsolved problems of peace and war, unconquered pockets of ignorance and prejudice, unanswered questions of poverty and surplus.”? Vintage Sorensen.

So, anyway, until today, I had no idea who was writing Obama's speeches. And I think he or she is pretty damn good. Huh. And, as you know, there's nothing I like better than an unanswered question and a keyboard.

Turns out, it's a 26 year-old former member of John Kerry's staff, named Jon Favreau. (No, not that Jon Favreau.)



And I think we'll remember his words. For quite some time.


(Oh, and here's a good analysis from Slate of whether or not the "words? just words?" portion of this particular speech is plagiarism.)

No comments: